The Most Common Electrical Fire Hazards at Home


October is National Fire Safety Awareness Month, and along with great deals for you to save on helping you make your home safe, we wanted to let you know about the 5 most common places electrical fire hazards happen at home.

According to the Electrical Safety Foundation
Facts and Statistics:

  • Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly than 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage.
  • Electrical distribution systems are the third leading cause of home structure fires.
  • Each year in the United States, arcing faults are responsible for starting more than 28,000 home fires, killing and injuring hundreds of people, and causing over $700 million in property damage.
  • The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that electrical receptacles are involved in 5,300 fires every year, causing forty deaths and more than 100 consumer injuries.
  • Sixty-five percent of home fire deaths result from fires in homes with no working smoke detectors.

1. Improper use of Extension Cords

Extension cords are for temporary use only! Never use an extension cord for an extended amount of time.

As we like to say, “It’s a whole lot cheaper for us to install an outlet for you than for you to buy a new house.”

Because they are meant to be temporary, extension cords can deteriorate quickly, and can pose a risk for fire or shock.

If you must use one, make sure that you are not overloading it. Pay careful attention that what you’re plugging into the cord, and make sure the cord can handle the wattage of the device being plugged in.

Never use an extension cord as permanent wiring for your houseĀ  (Yes. we’ve seen this attempted.)

2. Light Fixtures

Every light fixture that you have installed will have a recommended bulb wattage on it. Make sure you pay attention to this. Here’s why.

A fixtures wiring, and insulation are only rated to handle so much. If you have a 100 watt bulb in a 40 watt recommended fixture, you’re create an environment where the fixture cannot handle the heat produced by the bulb.

Eventually, over time, you run the risk of damaged insulation, and melting wires. It’s bad news to damage the insulation and wiring and having bare wires.


3. Space Heaters

It’s that time of year when we will start getting tons of calls, and Space Heaters will be the bulk of what is causing power to go out in rooms, and tripped breakers.

Space Heaters really should be the only thing plugged into a circuit. Because they pull a lot of “juice,” they can easily trip a breaker and cause power outages if not used properly.

If you have a lot of things plugged in on one wall or in a room, you might not realize how quickly you have overloaded a circuit, and that causes it to trip.

If you must use a Space Heater, make sure you purchase one of the newer, and safer ones that provide radiant heat.

And always make sure you keep them away from clothing, bedding and anything flammable.

4. Faulty Receptacles and Switches.

If you have loose switches or receptacles, make sure you have them replaced.

Often times, improperly wired receptacles can have wires that come loose. Make sure they are wired using the screws on the sides and not by poking the wires into the backs of them. This can cause improper connections, and can result in a fire hazard with repeated usage.

Make sure that you have GFCI outlets installed in your home where there is a water presence too.


5. Lack of Smoke Detectors

It’s that time of year to check your batteries or have smoke detectors installed in your home! This is important!

You have a few options. If you go with battery operated ones, you have to make sure that you test them often to ensure they are working. Although these are cheaper, they aren’t connected.

So, if you have one go off in your child’s bedroom, you might not hear it. This isn’t the case in a hard wired system. They have battery backup in the event of an outage, and when one goes off they all do.

Whichever you choose, just get them installed. It could save your life!


This month from now until Oct 31, 2017, we have a few chances for you to save on getting things done to ensure your house is as safe as possible.


Get $100 off Smoke Detector Installation

15% off whole house switch and receptacle replacement

15% off on any LED Lighting Upgrade

Just give us a call at (501)920-4716 and we will get you more information on any of your electrical needs.













Read More